February 20, 2013

Wedding Woes III

Today was one of those million fights this house has witnessed. I was told to shut up because I have been spreading negative energy talking about dowry and divorce, bitching about punjabi rituals and customs and getting angry at obnoxious innovative ideas for spending money. 

The other day I was told, 'You are being young and stupid. You will succumb to all these things when its time for you to get married. We'll see where your idealism goes then.' I remember thinking how discouraging my family is about my suggestions about saving money. I just laughed at the stupid comment, although it called me a hypocrite in so many ways.

Today, after another fight, I was told, 'With the kind of aggressive behavior and attitude you have, we all fear, you will probably never get married.' Honestly, that really hurt. But given the number of failed marriages I have seen around me, this is probably not a bad idea at all!


No comments: